You are not living the life you really want + the worst thing is you don’t really know what is exactly holding you back. Get unstuck so you can start living your dreams now. Here are 12 common sticking points + what you need to know to get past them:
1. You don’t know how to: no one is taught to pursue their passions + dreams and when you see others doing it it’s easy to think that they have special talents or skills that you don’t have. It’s easy to believe that you don’t have what it takes. The truth is this: you have everything you need – all the life experience + knowledge just waiting for you to tap into it. When you live life passionately you tap into a level of intuition that gives you access to a whole new level of intelligence and skill.
2. You don’t feel you can: you don’t feel you deserve to live life at this level of happiness and this fully. You don’t have a role model or reference point for this kind of lifestyle so you continue to live a life that is not so fulfilling because you think this is all there is. The thing is: when you live your passions you enter into a whole new emotional world, one that is so deeply rewarding and fulfilling – as intensely as it is also challenging. When you live this, you never want to go back to the way you lived + felt before.
3. You are afraid to put yourself out there: it feels easier psychologically to live a life that is not your dream + to ignore those passions that pull on you than to risk doing what you have always longed to do for risk of looking silly or failing. Don’t worry about how it looks from the outside: remember that everyone else is all caught up in their own life to be that concerned about what you are doing. And think of all the fun you and your loved ones will have when you have cause for celebration later when your book best-sells or when you win that huge promotion.
4. You have tried and it didn’t go as expected: often when you risk everything + make big changes in your life you are so out of your element that you retreat back to your comfort zone because you are not used to negotiating the nerves that it brings up in you. It’s a bit like getting back out there + dating, it’s not easy at first and you would rather stay at home than get all nervous and then have it go badly. To get past this, focus on what feels fun and keep doing this. Fun is the most powerful motivator and yet we believe it has to be hard if it is worthwhile. Redo this belief + start enjoying your new direction.
5. You don’t believe it’s possible: often you feel your passions are so ‘out there’ you have no idea how to make them part of your life, or if they are even possible. Everyone is unique + so it’s impossible to compare lives: what may work well for one person doesn’t for another, so you don’t start because you’re not sure where to. Look for people who are already living your passions + dreams and experiment with what works for them. Find a mentor or coach who has experience in your desired life arena to determine what you need to do and to help facilitate this unknown terrain.
“Passion is energy.
Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you”
~ Oprah Winfrey
6. You experience too much emotion: when you live your dreams it is common for repressed/suppressed emotion to come up once you start feeling more empowered + are in a stronger place to deal with them, but sometimes this emotion overwhelms you, and you find yourself retreating from your dream lifestyle because it feels easier and less challenging. Having an experienced mentor or coach is invaluable at this point. It is natural to feel more when you live your passions: you are opening up. Eventually everything settles at this new level of life. Knowing the emotional terrain at this point comes from experience.
7. You are living a life that is so far away from your dreams; you have no idea how to get there: this is very common. We have often been raised to live up to the expectations of others, and our parents + loved ones often live and dream vicariously through our life so it’s easy to lose touch in your actual dreams and passions. You lose touch with what you really want, and need to find a way back. To overcome this: allow yourself to dream big + dig deep into what you want. Realize that your dream waits for you to start living it, its never too late to begin the process.
8. You feel you don’t have the time, resources or what it takes: you feel like you are too old or too busy to take the time to invest in your passions and dreams, not realizing that these are actually the keys to your authentic happiness + fulfillment and that living your passion would knock years off your life, visibly and that living the dream you have always longed to would actually be more lucrative and require less time and be less draining than struggling to live a life that is not you. In fact, if you feel like you don’t have enough time or energy it is a clear indication that you are not living your dreams + passions.
9. You fear that others will criticize you or reject you if you change your life in a big way: it’s easy to get stuck in other people’s agendas especially if you are close and they depend on you. However, imagine all that you can actually contribute if you honor what is ideal for you by making the changes to your life in this way. Not only will you be happier and more empowered, but you also inspire your loved ones to live their dreams by committing to yours.
10. You think that you don’t have enough intelligence: this is a big one and the irony is that intelligence is actually so much more than what we think it is. There are different types of intelligence and when you follow your passions you literally create a new neural network that increases your overall intelligence capacity exponentially: there is no reason you can’t pursue your passion, no matter how much intelligence it seems to require, you will more than achieve it. AND in addition to increasing your neural plasticity, you access a higher form of intelligence – your intuitive intelligence which is only limited by how much you utilize it.
11. You don’t realize what success is at stake: when you live your dream, when you follow your passion there is no limit to the amount of success you can achieve but you don’t realize that this is what you are missing out on until you begin to live what you love at this level. Even if you have been living your passion to some extent but not fully or at the level that you want to, you are missing out on so much + you don’t realize it. Commit fully to your passions; live full on. Is there any other way to live, really?
12. You are waiting for the ideal time or for someone/something else before you start: it’s very common to feel you need or want some external form of permission when it comes to dreams. The common perception + consensus is they are indulgent – luxuries that you somehow must earn – and not allowed until live until you feel like you have some kind of go-ahead. The truth is if you wait for some external force or push, you might never live the life you are here to live.
Look at it this way: you have this specific skill set + set of experiences that no one else in the world has: these are your cards to play. No one else can play them but you. No one else can live your dream for you. Begin now. Take one step right now towards realizing your dreams. Pursue one passion in the next hour.
There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
Thanks for being here, its always fun to share with you.